Monday, January 14, 2008

What is Gautemala like?



Guatemala, what is it like?

Guatemala is a beautiful country, both the landscape and the people! Guatemala is a country of 12 million people with over 6 million indigenous people. Guatemala has a long history dating back to the ancient and dominating culture of the Mayans! Spanish is the official language of Guatemala but there are over 22 Mayan languages spoken throughout Guatemala. I will be learning the Mayan language Kaqchikel.

The Mayan culture is very alive and strong today. In my town, San Martin Jilotepeque, Chimalteango, many of the women dress in the corte and huipil, which are the traditional skirt and shirt! Each pueblo or city has its own colors and designs to represent where they are from. The unique design was also the way the Spanish marked their slaves so they would know who were their slaves.

Guatemala is the land of eternal spring and the place of many trees. The western part of the country is made of large mountains covered with many trees. I live about 12 miles from my departments capital but it takes me around 45 minutes to get to my town because we have to winded our way through huge mountains to get to my town. Every morning I wake up and look out my back porch and see a enormous volcano, which is one of 33 volcanoes here in Guatemala! There are three volcanoes that are very active and you can usually see them letting off gas!

Most of the Guatemalans who live outside of Guatemala city are farmers! The most important products are coffee (which I work with), sugar and bananas! Other products that are important part of Guatemalan’s lives are corn, beans, and many types of vegetables. Many people sell their products in the markets in the local cities or even in the larger markets in Guatemala City. In my town we have market day on Thursday and Sunday. This is when I buy all of my food for the week, potatoes, tomatoes, corn, broccoli, carrots, chilies, beans, and rice! You can also find a variety of other things in the market, clothing, pots and pans, plastic containers, flowers, CDs and DVDs and also food to sit down and eat!

I am sorry that I have not been on top of writing to you guys but please if you have any questions post me a reply and I will answer them as soon as I can! I hope that you have enjoyed learning about Guatemala so far, I know that I have!

No comments: